We Specalise In Orthodontics For Teens!
Orthodontic treatment to align your teeth and bite can do more than just provide you with a beautiful smile – it can also improve your physical and psychological health.
Why Should Teenagers Get Orthodontic Treatment?
Treatment for teenagers and adolescents generally begins once most of the permanent teeth have erupted. This is usually between the ages of 10 and 15 and is the most appropriate time to correct several problems including crowding, excess or insufficient overjet, cross-bites and open or deep bites. A majority of these conditions are not self-correcting and require intervention with orthodontics to alleviate or prevent them from getting worse.
There is a positive peer-reinforcement value to orthodontic treatment at this age, since several teenagers undergo treatment, and this is sometimes viewed as a rite of passage. The other advantage is the growth spurt that tends to occur at this age. This spurt can be very useful in helping correct bite problems and in establishing optimal facial aesthetics. Tooth movement also occurs more rapidly in this age group and can help minimise the overall length of treatment.
Physiological Benefits From Orthodontic Treatment.
- Properly-positioned teeth are less prone to chipping and wear.
- Well-aligned teeth are easier to clean, and less likely to decay.
- Ideally positioned teeth lessen the chance of gingivitis, recession, and gum disease.
- A good bite results in less strain on jaw muscles/joints.
- Better chewing and food digestion.
- Ability to close spaces and avoid the need for future bridges or tooth implants.
- A good bite means less chance of tongue-thrusting habits and speech impediments.
Psychological Benefits From Orthodontic Treatment.
- Increased confidence
- Improved self-acceptance and well-being
- Enhanced attractiveness
In summary, orthodontic treatment to align your teeth and bite can do more than provide you with a beautiful smile – it can also improve your physical and psychological health. If you want to learn more about the advantages of orthodontics for teenagers, please do not hesitate to contact our practice to schedule an appointment.